Looking for something easy to do that has a positive impact on the earth? Anything you do, both small and large, can make a difference. Check here for quick tips and ideas.
- Use environmentally friendly cleaning products. Sun and Earth is a common brand that we like.
- Use a refrigerated water filter/pitcher - this allows for continuously cold water without running the tap and saves on plastic bottles and gallon containers.
- Recycle - everything you can!
- Start a compost. The less organic material in the trash the better.
- Use reusable bags. They’re easier to carry to and from the market anyway.
- Refrain from using plastic and paper cups, utensils, and plates.
- Use the dishwasher as much as possible, and don’t run it until it’s full.
- Pay your bills online - get your statements delivered via email too.
- Unsubscribe from unwanted catalogs.
- Drive less - consider walking and public transportation instead.
- Carpool whenever possible.
- Do groups of errands at places that are located close to one another - saving how much gas you’re using, how much you’re polluting, and how much driving you need to do.
- Don’t print if you don’t need to.
- Turn off the lights in any room that’s not being used, and turn off the lights at the end of the night.
- Turn off your computer or any other electronics when you leave for the day.
- Adjust the heater/air conditioner for the nights and weekends when no one’s around.
- Bring your own mug to the coffee shop.
- Reuse your towels and linens at the hotel.
- Pick up litter when you see it. Every little bit counts, even if you didn’t put it there.
- Continue to turn off the lights, air conditioner/heater, and appliances when they’re not in use, just like when you’re at home.
- If you can, rent your table linens, plates, glasses, etc. instead of purchasing them or buying plastics. Also rent locally to save on extra transportation needs.
- Choose favors that will be reused (or at least not thrown out).
- If you’re using a caterer, try to make sure the leftover food gets sent home to yourself or your guests.
- Have your event as close as possible to the majority of guests - this will not only cut down on costs, but will cut down on everyone’s transportation.
Have more tips? Mention them to us on twitter!